Sunday, July 1, 2012

a mata ortiz peacock




Beautiful handmade art is the topic for today. This pot is from the small village of Mata Ortiz, Mexico. A dear friend of mine gave it to me after a long journey, so not only is it aesthetically pleasing but it also holds a special place in my heart. It was molded by a woman named Virginia Baca and painted by her husband Salvador Baca. It's hard to believe that this is a pinch pot (not spun on a wheel) as it is incredibly even and thin. I love the juxtaposition of the matte black and the glossy black to create these geometric designs. 
This pot is more than a pot or a piece of art. It represents the life, culture, and tradition of the 
Mata Ortiz people. Their struggles and triumphs, happiness and saddness, and prosperity and poverty can be seen through their intricate designs and unique techniques. So as the world continues to turn and art is unceasingly created, we must constantly appreciate the work of others and also create for ourselves.
On a lighter note, I believe now is a good time to admit that I have a serious fear of birds. No, I am not kidding. Yes, they terrify me. Which means feathers terrify me and quite frankly gross me out. But, the way this peacock feather adds a element of cool colors in the most delicate way made me set my fears aside. 

Some food for thought- "I have no special talent, I am only passionately curious" Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment